Sunday, April 15, 2007

Conversations with Other Women

My friend S is a great story teller. S works in a professional training company and has to call clients all the time. The following are S's stories and I never had such a good laugh in such a long time.

S: "Hello, I'm calling regarding [insert some conference name here]. May I speak to Mr. X?"
X: "Oh! I can't make it during that day!"
S: "What day?"

If you gotta say no....say it well.

S' colleague K graduated from a reputable University. One day, another colleague M (a middle-aged man who was used to speaking Singlish and want to make sure his grammar was correct in an sms to a client) asked both K and S: "'Has she been approved by the Manager?' or 'Have she been approved by the Manager?'"?

S immediately answered, "Of course it's 'has'!".

K butted in, "Definitely 'Have' lah! Where got 'has'! You don't use 'you' with 'have' right? Right??"

S sees no point in arguing with K. I agree, how could you argue with such a person? S lets K have it.

K then threw tantrums, "If you don't trust me, then whatever lah, you either ask me, or your ask S. If you ask me, then S better not answer. If you ask S, then I won't answer for you."

M scrambled to make amends between the two. He sensed K's anger and proceeded to (pretend) to agree with K.

Plenty of other stories, but I'll leave the story telling to the great story tellers. I aspire to be them one day.

No comments: