Monday, January 07, 2008

Superstition

Do you believe in ghost stories?

Do you believe in the other worlds?

Suffice it to say, it is generally agreed that someone who believes that touching a locket she has since childhood brings good luck is superstitious. In modern times, people were labeled as superstitious as if their belief is something idiosyncratic. It's a concept familiar to that one person but makes the others uncomfortable or unsure how to deal with. It makes the word "superstitious" sound dirty. I guess everyone has their own beliefs, and everyone is subject to superstition in that case. What makes believing in the other worlds different than our beliefs in our gods? Perhaps this is just another kind of supernatural forces.

People are always unsure how to deal with different concepts than the familiar, different realities than the ones their eyes see. We call them 'radical' sometimes. But they are more or less matters of perspective I suppose. Yet I am unable to tear myself away from the world views that I grow up with and look at ghost stories differently. I still have a long way to go...

No comments: