Saturday, January 12, 2008

The art of consumerism

every day
Most of us are all slaves to consumerism. Most of us actually don't mind and succumbed to it. Some procure things that are necessities of life, some take it to the extreme (I am talking about, of course, things like diamond bras, 150-inch TVs, or 5-year handbag wait list). Oh, things that we sacrifice our time and money for. When we say value, were we simply referring to the priority of things for our survival or the price tag of the goods? How much is enough?

As producers of goods/services through our jobs and as consumers, how do we balance our want of consumerism? Was the satisfaction worth it? How long will it last? Will I still like it two months from now? Was that 200-dollar meal really that great? Do I just have to buy it or I'll lose sleep over it?

Worth...is so relative it boggles the mind. We tend to justify every thing we do / purchase as "worth" it somehow. What is worth?

P.S.: This uncle works every single day of the year, I have never seen him off his little stool at any time of the day, be it 6 am or 11 pm. Makes me think twice if I want to complain next time!

No comments: