Friday, March 11, 2005

Food for thought

Last night I was reading Wangjianshuo's blog on hating doing something and hating to start doing something. Evidently, there's a lot of difference between the two. Jianshuo provided an excellent example: it's not that he hates sleeping itself; he has this initial resistant of going to bed at night as there are hundreds of reasons for being awake.

Fast forward to my current situation. However I tried setting my mind to start working on my project, I procrastinate, surfing here and there, reading magazines, and before i knew it... no work is done. But come another time when I have actually immersed myself in my work, I do enjoy it. The same is true for most things: as we contemplate doing this and that, taking art courses or volunteering for a good cause, how many of those do we eventually end up doing?

Procrastination is a common disease. Self-discipline is the key. Yeah, easy to say, darn hard to do. Nevertheless, it boils down to how one cultivate one's mind and not surrender to external pressure, or shall we say, temptations. A note to myself: Study Buddhism.

No comments: