Sunday, May 20, 2007

Reading in reverse

I'm not a fan of long articles. I like them to be short, sweet, and precise. I like it if an article manages to carry the information that matters most and be done with it. At least that's how I approach it.

That's why after reading the first few paragraphs, if it's still interesting, then all's good. If I get impatient trying to finish it, I'll do what I've done quite naturally, surprisingly: I'll start reading from the last paragraph.

Let me tell you what I've found so far about this practice:
- It makes you a faster reader.
- It'll give you a fresh perspective of the essense of the article.
- You'll find out how it all ends faster! Duh.
- I'm a weirdo.

Newspaper articles, blogs, essays, emails, messages, I've tried them all except for books (too grand for me to even think of trying). All done with due respect to the authors of course.

Have you tried reading an essay, an article, or a book starting from the last paragraph?

4 comments:

Kiran said...

Hm ... if I read through the first few bits and find myself getting impatient, I tend to cut my losses and pick up something else.

Sri said...

Yes that too...sometimes I just feel I had to give it another chance, that's what I do next

Diahz90 said...

to me, it's the other way ard (unless i'm really curious abt it..) if i read the first few lines and find myself getting bored, i tend to jump to the last few lines to see if sth good happens, otherwise, i'll just shut it down.. but if the reading is really good, i dont want it to end soon.. and btw, eternal summer.. it's the first gay movie i watched that's touching.. =)

Sri said...

Wah Diah! How did you get that movie up there??? Download? :) Glad you enjoyed it too!