Thursday, July 29, 2010

Doing things slowly and deliberately

It's probably a better way, as I am slowly discovering. It is related to being in the moment and enjoying it. We all know and probably have read about how we are more productive when we do one thing at a time, and the results of our work are better than when we were doing multiple tasks. I used to want to do things very quickly so I can move on to other stuff, sometimes doing 3-4 things at once. Turns out, I was making more mistakes that way. Doing multiple things at one time makes us lose focus at the present task we're attending to. As a result, our work is of less quality and costs us more time to fix it. On the other hand, it takes us some time to adjust back to the 'mode' of the task, so it takes longer time to finish all of them.

When I was writing an email and suddenly remembered that I need to call someone, after the call, it's harder to get back to the emailing mode than if I were to finish the mail first then pick up the phone. However, I suppose you already know all this. Recently I've just only begun to be aware of these little actions that I'm taking that was very routine stuff for me previously. Some of these routines are like riding bicycle, stuff you do automatically once you're in the environment, like taking out trash, folding the plastic bags after putting out all your groceries, or even washing your face. I find that when we are more aware of what we are doing right _now_, we do better, thorough jobs. Like, washing our face!

Besides the obvious benefit of doing a better job, doing things slowly teaches you patience! I can only relate my own experiences in walking home with sore feet and carrying heavy groceries. Acknowledge the discomfort, and take one step at a time, eventually you'll get there. Deal with the blisters later!

The only time I can think it'll be more efficient to multi-task is when we are cooking food (boiling, mostly). Forgive me for the lack of examples.

Love the summer sky!

No comments: